As a teacher and principal for over 20 years, I have taught in a variety of environments. My focus has always been getting to know my learners by asking them how they learn best and then helping them acquire the tools to become independent learners. Independent learning, a simple two-word phrase, means that learners–
- are intrinsically motivated;
- can set goals, both long and short term;
- can ask for help, when needed;
- are self-aware enough to know when they are stuck and
- will use multiple resources to find out how accomplish their learning.
Once I have an understanding of how my student learns best, then we work together to identify the correct materials and create an environment where the learner can develop and practice their independent learning skills. My role then is to accompany them on their journey through math.
https://tinyurl.com/y2cqu6hj This is a link to my current resume.